Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eat More Kale


Raw kale lightly coated with olive oil
Right out of the oven Crisp and Delicious!

Eat More Kale is a command that I recently spotted on a circular car bumper sticker. Well I wasn't so sure I wanted to eat kale at all, let alone more. My gardening, farming son has been singing its praises to my very unreceptive ears. I always thought of kale as an interesting but certainly inedible garnish. Its other purpose I thought was to make interesting garden borders or accents. And that was it. On my son's last visit home he brought two gorgeous bunches of  kale grown at Eaters Guild Farm. It was time to confront my prejudices. He had mentioned something about making kale chips and that they were delicious. Since he claimed it was a simple recipe, easy and quick, I thought why not. A hasty internet search returned results from AllReciepes.com, Smitten Kitchen, and Epicurious to name a few. The basic preparation method is the same and each offers a special twist. A video how-to is even available on YouTube  I used the AllRecipes.com version for my first try. The resulting kale chips were fantastic. Crunchy, crispy and very flavorful, I plan to EAT MORE KALE.

Eaters Guild Farm is a Michigan supplier to Whole Foods. Everything you ever wanted to know about kale is available here. Whole Foods has an amazing section of kale recipes. Eaters Guild Farm has a CSA membership available and they sell at the Holland Farm Market and the South Haven Market. Get some kale.

1 comment:

  1. Can we have some Kale over Labor Day Weekend?? Great post! xo :)

    ReplyDelete